X-Ray Tech Career Outlook
X-Ray Techs held about 219,000 jobs in 2010. The X-Ray Tech career outlook is expected to be favorable. X-Ray tech employment is expected to increase by about 28 percent from 2010 to 2020. This is faster than the average for all occupations.
This growth in the X-Ray Tech job outlook is driven by a number of factors including:
X-Ray techs who are willing to relocate and who also are experienced in other diagnostic imaging procedures—such as CT, MR, and mammography—will have the best employment opportunities as employers seek to control costs by using multi-credentialed employees.
- a growing and aging population and consequent need for imaging services
- an increasing success of medical technologies in treating disease, and the resulting increased need for imaging to monitor progress of treatment
- advances in technology which reduce costs and make more imaging options feasible
- a need to replace techs who retire or otherwise leave the occupation
Information on this page summarized from:
(1) Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Radiologic Technologists,
and contact information