X-Ray Tech Career Outlook
X-Ray Techs held about 229,300 jobs in 2012. The X-Ray Tech career outlook is expected to be favorable. X-Ray tech employment is expected to increase by about 21 percent from 2012 to 2022. This is faster than the average for all occupations.
This growth in the X-Ray Tech job outlook is driven by a number of factors including:
X-Ray techs who are willing to relocate and who also are experienced in other diagnostic imaging procedures—such as CT, MR, and mammography—will have the best employment opportunities as employers seek to control costs by using multi-credentialed employees.
- a growing and aging population and consequent need for imaging services
- an increasing success of medical technologies in treating disease, and the resulting increased need for imaging to monitor progress of treatment
- advances in technology which reduce costs and make more imaging options feasible
- a need to replace techs who retire or otherwise leave the occupation
Information on this page summarized from:
(1) Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Radiologic and MRI Technologists, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/radiologic-technologists.htm
This site is intended only for informational purposes and is not a substitute for professional guidance.
and contact information